Saturday 6 June 2015

Part 5 - Cross Creek and the Fell Museum

So I made it across the Rimutaka Ranges from Maymorn to Cross Creek! Cross Creek Station was once occupied by several cottages, a hall, school, library, locomotive depot and a locomotive turntable. The actual Rail Trail goes on past here but is now on private land, so a single track to a car-park has been created to get you back to Featherston.

Cross Creek Station

After 3 and a half hours I'm glad to be here
























Look! Longdrops!

Singletrack to the Cross Creek Carpark

Through the bush

Past the flats. I met Dad on this track walking
along
 to meet me.

Back at the Start/Finish - but you wouldn't want to
bike up from this direction!

My support crew pick up














































































I couldn't end the story without visiting the Fell Museum in Featherston to see my old playmate - Fell Engine H-199. She is the only remaining Fell engine from the six that serviced the Rimutaka Incline for 77 years. I have to say it was quite an emotional moment to see the old girl all done up to the nines. She's looking so good and has well-and-truly earned her retirement. H-199 and her fellow Fell Engines deserve to have their exploits admired for years to come. 

Fell Museum, Featherston

Wow! There she is! Fell Engine H-199.
Doesn't she look good!

Inside the cab. I've played with all those knobs...

...and turned all those wheels :)

Yes I did shed a little tear.
Wonder if she remembers me too :)
I felt like I was 10 years old again seeing my old playmate. It was a fitting end to my Rimutaka Cycle Trail expedition. It's been many decades since I have seen H-199 but I'd know her anywhere :)

I definitely recommend biking this trail, it's a nice easy ride with lots of historic points of interest, well maintained and beautiful scenery. If you want it really easy I would start at the Kaitoke Carpark.

And if you weren't a trainspotter before you set out, you might very well become one by the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment