Monday 16 September 2013

Day 1: Te Aroha

Known as "The Egg"
Home sweet home at Te Aroha Holiday Park! I do love staying in a caravan. 

I can't go anywhere without William

The view

It was a little bit wet when I arrived in Te Aroha but it did clear up enough by 3.30pm for me to venture onto the Hauraki Rail Trail to Paeroa. I knew I would be cutting it fine because of the light, but I have a good set of bike lights and fluro gear, and the trail is not on the road, so off I went.

The old Te Aroha Railway Station


Start of the trail


On the trail - it is much like the Wairarapa Rail Trail


This is where I met 'The Birds'



Made it to Paeroa





Me with the famous landmark!
On the way back - the sun is setting
I had quite a frightening encounter with 'The Birds' as I biked past some pine trees. I could hear them squawking, coming from behind me and I hit the accelerator fast! I didn't look back to see what kind of birds they were because it was like being in a Hitchcock movie! They were constantly attacking my helmet. I know I must have biked at the rate of the land-speed record. On the way back I saw they were magpies and they chased me but didn't peck at my head thank goodness!

It was dark by the time I got back 3 hours later, and all I wanted to do was lie down. But of course I couldn't find the caravan key. So after frantically hunting around in the dark with a torch I found it in the grass by the car. Phew! So a shower to get warm, and Day 2 I will try the Karangahake Gorge.

PS Thank goodness for the Library - INTERNET YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment