Tuesday 24 September 2013

Day 8: Whitewater Kayaking

The weather is improving! I headed off to Okere Falls north of Lake Rotorua to watch the whitewater kayakers paddle down the Kaituna River.
 
The top 400m section of the river has a slalom course, followed by a set of rapids of various heights, ending in a seven metre waterfall. I hiked my way around to try and get a decent view. I have done this myself on the Whanganui River a while back. I did enjoy the thrill of it, but I was terrified!

Starts off with the slalom course

Through the rapids!

Another action shot!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I won't be doing anything this energetic on Lake Karipiro when I get back by they way. It will be a nice flat paddle on a still lake to visit the glow worms. Followed by wine and cheese by a campfire :)
 
After this I went back to the log cabin and had a soak in the hot pools again. It is remarkable how they fix up my aches and pains in no time! I don't know if I could keep going at this pace without these thermal pools! I am a bit worried about leaving them behind after this Rotorua leg of the tour. It really makes me wish I had a bath at home.
 
Now I was ready for another ride around the Redwoods. I was lucky that I arrived at 3:30pm, just when the hoards of teenage boys were on their way out! The weekends are a bit packed out there. But once on the trails I had them pretty much to myself.
 


Another little snippet of the Dipper - just the big berms. Awesone riding around these. Lots of table tops close together too for jumping, but can't find a suitable short clip of them. It's one of the last downhill rides on the way back to base. A really great way to finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment