Tuesday 24 September 2013

Day 9: Riding the Dragon's Tail

Last full day in Rotorua! I'm going to miss the smell of sulphur! Another fine day so I set off to see the Blue and Green Lakes. They are still as beautiful as ever.
 
Viewing platform between Blue and Green Lakes
 
Blue Lake
 
 

Green Lake

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




















After that I was determined to ride the bumpy old Dragon's Tail at Redwoods, another must-do Intermediate trail. There are so many trails here and I have only been halfway up the mountain. It takes me half an hour just to ride up to the mid-way tracks. There is a shuttle bus that takes riders and bikes right up to the top on the weekends. I will have to do them another time. A pretty decent effort though - 4 out of 5 days riding - one day rained out. I am officially awesome!
 
Start of Dragon's Tail
 
This is the best video clip I could find of the trail. It really is like a dragon's tail, lots of sharp bumps, roots to get over and winding all around. It was pretty hard going on a hardtail (only front suspension). I have to stand up and use my legs as suspension over all the bumps. And my jumps are limited. It's fairly hard on my unbroken leg - it gets a bit sore. Thank goodness for the hot pools :) I'm going to have to upgrade to full suspension soon!
 
 
So then it was back to the hot pool for a recovery session. Fantastic!
 

 
True confession time.
I had a crash.
On my first day at Redwoods.
Straight over the handlebars.
Flat on my face.
I'm fine.
It looks worse than it is.
Only a cut and a bump on my nose.
And one on my forehead.
Oh and these big bruises on my thighs.
My nose didn't bleed.
I haven't got a black eye.
It will all be healed by the time I get home.
So all good.
I'm done with the Redwoods now.
Didn't want to worry you...
 

2 comments:

  1. Enjoying your blog! Glad you weren't too badly damaged in your accident :-) Hope the weather continues to be kind to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am dodging the rain - I seem to be getting away with it!

      Delete