Friday 20 September 2013

Day 5: Rotorua - The Redwoods

I have upgraded myself from The Egg in Te Aroha to a Log Cabin in Rotorua. Quite palatial it is! But no facilities in here ie. no jug, toaster or TV - even if the one in the caravan only got Prime, it was still nice to have. It does have a much better heater here though - yay!

My log cabin
 
Quite spacious

 

Whakarewarewa Forest Mountain Bike Park (The Redwoods)

Sadly, the weather forcast for the next four days is wet, wet and pouring rain! So when I arrived on Day 5 I decided I'd better get out in the Redwoods before things turned to custard. It was dizzling but I was prepared. The nice guy at the bike hire place printed out a route for me to take after I gave him details of what level trails I wanted, and how long I had. I spent the next 2 and a half hours having a very exciting time!

This forest is so spectacular to ride through, it took my breath away. I don't have many photos because you can't really stop on these trails. So I've put a couple of videos on of two trails I took.

"B rude not 2" was fan-frickin'-tastic! The guy told me if there is one must-do track here it is this one. I don't think I have ever ridden a faster downhill! It starts out in a deforested section going along an exposed edge, and then goes into the forest. I was fair flying, easily getting airborne over the jumps - even when I wasn't intending to... The music on this clip is very appropriate - I wanna flyyyyy away.
 


Another run was "Dipper". This short clip shows a bit more of a typical forest trail with nice tabletop jumps and deep berms.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment