Wednesday 18 September 2013

Day 3: Waihi Beach

Te Aroha Thermal Pools

First thing to do at 8am was visit the Thermal Pool! Fantastic after a few hard days riding.  I pretty much had the place to myself and took some time to do a bit of reading. This is one of the rare occasions when I sit down and relax! I'm really glad I decided to stay in Te Aroha and not Paeroa, which is rather run-down by comparison. So if you decide to do any of these trails, I highly recommend the Mountain of Love!

It's really pretty here in Te Aroha Thermal Pools

The spa pool is very inviting

Ahhhhhh.....






































Waihi Beach

The weather has been kind and I thought I would set off without the bike this time for a change of pace. It felt really strange! I was like a foot soldier out on reconnaissance for the cycle troops. I did find some other places to go for Day 4 so it was a good idea.


Down to the beach with a rum 'n raisin ice cream

Waihi Beach looking out at the Bay of Plenty

Picked up some pretty shells - I know who will like them :)

End of the spit - Bowentown Recreational Reserve

Wandering around on the boardwalks
























































 

 

 

 

 

Karangahake Windows Walk

On the way back to "The Egg" caravan, I decided to return to the Karangahake Windows walk and do parts of the trail that are inaccessible by bike. I also got a chance to stop and look at things "I didn't have time for" last time, such as wander around the Victoria Battery. Also I walked around the ruins of the Woodstock and Talisman Batteries. Batteries are large industrial buildings where the quartz being mined is crushed and mixed with cyanide in large 15m high vats to extract the gold. The Windows Walk passes through these battery ruins and into the old mining tunnels with four openings that look down onto the river.
Lots more swing bridges to cross going this way

Onto the Woodstock Tramway walk - very enjoyable

Other end of the Windows Walk into the tunnels

Looking out the 'window' again


















































When I was a child I always wanted to walk along the railway line and just keep going. I haven't changed a lot! Maybe I was a hobo in a past life.

No comments:

Post a Comment