Thursday 26 September 2013

Day 11: Waikato River Trail - Stage 1

The storm seemed to have blown itself out overnight, so it was time for the Stage 1 part of the Waikato River Trail. Again, the book says Grade Easy and talks of riding on a flat section alongside the river and some wetlands over boardwalks. Well do you think I could find that part of the trail? No way. The trail I followed was Grade Intermediate, lots of uphill, but again, I was lured by the promise of another very long swing bridge. I'm such a sucker!
Go down here they said...

...it'll be flat they said... no pics after this - too tired!

After much huffing and puffing, I made it to Arapuni Dam

The Arapuni swingbridge lures me on

Made it! 152m long.

Stopped in the middle - it's a bit freaky here, swaying around
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pouakani Totara Tree

Later in the day after I had recovered sufficiently, I went for a bush walk to see the largest Totara Tree in New Zeland. It really is a spectacular "Old Man of the Forest". It's not often you get to see such large trees in New Zealand. This one is said to be between 1750 and 1850 years old! 42.7m high, 12.2m girth, 3m diameter.
Start of the walk - a very overgrown bush track

It's very nice natural bush in here

I love moss on the trees

And there he is in a fenced off area! Amazing!

Some stats which are wrong apparently

Trying to get a decent shot into the canopy

Mossy southern side of the base
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment